04 Sep WILL SMITH : A MAN OF MANY TALENTS
American actor, producer, rapper, comedian, and songwriter is an incredible body of talent. In the 80’s, Smith was modestly famous as a rapper. In 1990, Smith starred in the popular NBC television series “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, which ran for six seasons and kick started an impressive career in Hollywood. After the series ended in 1996, Smith transitioned from television to film, and has gone on to star in numerous blockbuster films. Smith is undeniably one of the most powerful and bankable actors in Hollywood.
Smith is such a fun loving man. He regularly makes a joke out of himself accompanied by funny facial expressions.
Will Smith is also a dedicated family man. Married to Jada Pinkett Smith since 1997, he is still smitten by her and crazy in love. It’s always fireworks and PDA when the power couple steps out.
He is a father to three kids including Jaden, Willow; and an older son from a previous marriage Trey.
Here’s ten interesting facts you didn’t know about Will Smith:
1. Will was a millionaire before the age of 20.
2. He has starred in over 28 movies and produced over 12.
3. Will was the first hip-hop artist to be nominated for an Academy Award.
4. Smith has been nominated for five Golden Globe Awards and two Academy Awards, and has won four Grammy Awards.
5. He is the only actor to have eight consecutive films gross over $100 million in the domestic box office, eleven consecutive films gross over $150 million internationally, and eight consecutive films in which he starred, open at the number one spot in the domestic box office tally. As of 2016, his films have grossed $7.5 billion at the global box office.
6. He was dropped from Columbia Records as an artist after lackluster sales of his third solo album, which was self-titled, and greatest hits compilation.
7. He gained a place in the Guinness World Records book for most public appearances in 12 hours, by attending three red carpet “premieres” for Hitch (2005) on 22nd February 2005. He walked the red carpet and introduced the film at Manchester, Birmingham, and finally for the premiere in London, England.
8. Smith spent money freely around 1988 and 1989 and underpaid his income taxes. The Internal Revenue Service eventually assessed a $2.8 million tax debt against Smith, took many of his possessions, and garnished his income. Smith was nearly bankrupt in 1990, when the NBC television network signed him to a contract for Fresh Prince of Bel Air. For the first three seasons of Fresh Prince, 70% of his salary went to the government to pay back his taxes.
9. He holds the record for most Kids Choice Awards with a whopping six wins.
10. In the 1998 rap lyrics of “Gettin’ Jiggy”, Will Smith says that Muhammad Ali would call him “The Greatest.” Two and a half years later, he played the title role in Ali (2001).
Here’s two of our favourite quotes from Will Smith:
“I don’t know what my calling is, but I want to be here for a bigger reason. I strive to be like the greatest people who have ever lived.”
“Give me a problem, I’ll give you a solution. I just love living. That’s a feeling you can’t fake. I’m glad every single day. I think that even the camera can feel that I’m a happy man.”
You are our eternal crush Smith!