11 Oct WORLD’S GREATEST: SERENA WILLIAMS
At last years’ Wimbledon, we saw Serena Williams take home her 22nd Grand Slam win and remind us all why she is one of the greatest athletes of all time. The American born professional tennis player, who is ranked Number 1 in women’s singles tennis, has been at the top of the sport for almost two decades.
Serena has been a positive force and an inspiration to women worldwide.
17 facts about Serena Williams
- Her middle name is Jameka.
- She has played in 60 Grand Slam tournaments in her career and has won 21 of them.
3. Her favorite city in the world is Rome.
4. Her favorite sport to watch other than tennis is gymnastics.
- Other than dogs, her favorite animals are tigers.
- Her go-to gadget in the kitchen is the toaster oven.
- She has been ranked No. 1 for 253 weeks in her career. Only three players — Graf (377), Martina Navratilova (332) and Evert (260) — have enjoyed the top spot longer.
- She is one of Forbes highest-paid athletes.
9. She has competed at three Olympics and won four gold medals.
10. Her favorite water sport is tubing.
11. She has lost just nine matches in her 15 U.S. Open appearances. The only person to beat her twice is sister Venus Williams(2001 and 2005).
12. She won her first major title in 1999 at the U.S. Open, beating Martina Hingisin the final.
13. At 15 years between her first (1999) and most recent (2014) titles, Williams holds the record for most years between U.S. Open singles championships.
14. She has won 21 straight matches at the U.S. Open. Her last loss was to Samantha Stosurin the 2011 final.
15. Her favorite food after a workout is a Gatorade bar to replenish protein and carbs.
16. She has won 28 straight matches and four straight titles at Grand Slam events.
17. Her winning percentage at the U.S. Open is .898, the highest among singles players in the Open era.
Our favourite quotes from Serena Williams
“It’s me, and I love me. I learned to love me. I’ve been like this my whole life, and I embrace me. I love how I look. I love that I’m a full woman and I’m strong and I’m powerful and I’m beautiful at the same time. There’s nothing wrong with that.”
“You can be whatever size you are, and you can be beautiful both inside and out. We’re always told what’s beautiful and what’s not, and that’s not right.”
All hail the Queen. We love you!